Wednesday 8 April 2015

Origami Fairy Lights

Last summer I was sitting in one of the cafe's in town with the girls waiting for the bus when a lady came in and started setting up for her pop up origami workshop.  I didn't realise "pop up workshops" existed in our little seaside town least of all workshops I would actually want to do.  I was really intrigued.  Origami was something I had briefly flirted with when I was younger, you know the basic stuff; origami boats, newspaper hats and swan napkins.  That was it.  I had no idea just how beautiful and functional Origami can be. My biggest problem with Origami is my lack of patience at learning the basic skills, hence I got frustrated and my paper folding never progressed much further.

However since sitting in that cafe last summer I have been on a bit of an origami paper folding quest.  I keep meaning to sign up for one of her workshops but they seem to get booked up pretty quick.  I would love to have the skills to make an Origami lampshade.  Having done a bit of an internet search and dug out my Origami books I realised that a lampshade may not be the best place to start.  I did however discover that you can make pretty strings of Origami fairy lights by using the traditional Origami waterbomb.


After several attempts at folding and inflating I finally got the hang of them.




I am really pleased with the end result.  I brought some cheap battery operated LED lights and just poked each LED light into the top of each waterbomb.  I had fun making them and I am still hoping at some point to make an Origami Lampshade.



No comments:

Post a Comment