Saturday 11 April 2015

Designer's I love.

Something I might not have previously told you is that I am a complete book fiend.  Before we were married and we used to have "spare" time on our hands we would often end up visiting bookshops.  Heading towards the Art and graphic section I could spend hours just browsing and spending a fortune.  I couldn't pass one without going in and I particularly loved secondhand book shops (there used to be a pretty good one in Greenwich).  You could always find quirky books which you wouldn't find in the main stream shops.  I used to walk along Charring Cross Road dipping in and out of the book shops.  Some of my favourite haunts were Foyles, Waterstones in Piccadilly and Stanfords, but I also loved the RIBA bookshop and the AA bookshop.  I loved looking at all the great magazines especially blueprint which are virtually impossible to get your hands on round here.  There was just something about leaving with a bag of books and spending the train journey home flicking through the glossy pages.

These days if I get five minutes in Waterstones without a little person moaning or whining I am lucky and you can't buy books in a hurry anf buying books online just isn't the same.  Something that looks good online despite the reviews can be quite disappointing.

I thought I would start putting together a series of reviews (thank you for the idea Auntie Mims) on some of the design books I have collected over the years and where better to start than one of my favourites.



A-POC MAKING ISSEY MIYAKE & DAI FUJIWARA.  I first discovered Issey Miyake and his APOC (A piece of cloth) system when I was studying for my Part II Architectural Post Grad at East London University.  I instantly fell for the whole concept and the product itself.  The idea behind APOC is that by using modern computer technology you can change the way in which clothes are traditionally manufactured by eliminating the need for cutting a pattern and sewing the fabric pieces together.  I loved the idea that from one piece of material there were multiple options.
(I still believe that this whole concept of having one pre-fab material which can be wrapped manipulated and cut to individual needs has merit in the building industry - imagine a shed built this way!)



Every time I look at this book I find it inspiring in so many ways.   Yes it's a fashion book but it is so much more.  It is questioning the relationship between body and fabric, the multipurpose use of the clothes we wear and the individuality of the wearer.  This book is so elegantly put together, you can tell the story by following the pictures.  A beautiful picture can tell you a thousand words.


I am a huge fan of Issey Miyake and his work.  It's like looking at a fabric sculpture.  To me it is a piece of technical artwork.  Here is a dress from the "Cloud" range.  Using a 3D steam stretch to create a three dimensional look to the garment.  Just imagine how this garment would feel like and the way it would work with your body.






No comments:

Post a Comment