Sunday 12 April 2015

Serious Kitchen Dreaming

Ever since our dishwasher packed up last week I have been thinking about a kitchen re-design.  I often think about redesigning it but I have never actually put pen to paper until now.


Current Inspiration:


We have a galley style kitchen with units on two sides, with double doors into the garden.  The problem I currently have is the back of the house faces virtually due North which means we only get a tiny bit of sunshine in the kitchen at the height of summer.  Additionally the set up at the moment provides us enough space for a small dinning table at the end but it can make things a bit tricky if you have more than 4 people to dinner at anyone time. 

What I would really like to do is to extend our kitchen out along the back wall creating a glass box with either large doors with a flush threshold or bi-folding doors.  Hence flooding the kitchen with natural light.  I like the idea of the internal external relationship, bringing the outside inside of being able to stand at a central island in the kitchen and almost feel that you are outside.  Or being able to sit in the kitchen under the night sky.

The reality of my plans may be a bit pricey as the whole of the back wall of the house would need to be supported plus the cost implications of so much glass will probably be out of our price budget at the moment however I have a starting point from which to move forward.



Whilst I am dreaming here is some serious kitchen lusting


I love the glass roof extension on this kitchen and the way the path leads into the house as if it is all one element.  The transition from the interior into the exterior is almost imperceptible.


Here I like the industrial look of the exposed brickwork and the raw timber roof supports.











No comments:

Post a Comment